2021 Promises to be a year to remember!
The Friends of Malheur NWR have begun planning processes that will enable us to work on brand new and long overdue projects while continuing our established outreach, advocacy, and stewardship commitments.
New in 2021
- Bird Scouts: In partnership with Portland Audubon and the Harney County Library we will provide bird and nature inspired educational activities and projects for local youth.
- Tree Management Plan: We are working with the Refuge and Portland Audubon to develop a wildlife and culturally conscientious TMP. Our goal is to create Action Plans for the Refuge’s existing 99+ tree stands in order to maintain ecological value and respect their historical significance.
- Trail Teams: A forthcoming FOMR report of existing trails will inform the work plans to enhance and maintain the Refuge’s walking trails. Volunteer Trail Teams will be established to steward these trails.
- Boundary Fence Mapping: Trained volunteers will traverse the Refuge borders to map and report the condition of boundary fences. This work will be done in tandem with the Oregon Natural Desert Association’s long-standing effort to remove interior fences.
- Crane’s Nest Nature Center & Store
- Marshall Pond Wildlife Observation Area
- Blitzen Valley Auto Tour Route Signage & Audio Companion
- George Benson Natural History Museum
- January - CBC4Kids
- April - Harney County Migratory Bird Festival
- May - Malheur Migrates Event
- June - Archeology Roadshow
- August - Carp Derby
- Monthly – Malheur Musings Newsletter
- $1,000 Scholarship to a Harney County resident seeking higher education in Natural Resources, Conservation, or Wildlife Sciences.
- Annual contribution to National Wildlife Refuge Association (2020 - $250)
- Annual grant to The Trumpeter Swan Society (2020 - $500)
- Membership to The Environmental Center of Bend
- Proposed: Bi-monthly Vitrual Trivia
- Proposed: Bi-monthly Speaker Series
YOUR END OF YEAR DONATION OR ESTABLISHING A MONTHLY SUSTAINING DONATION WILL GO A LONG WAY IN HELPING THE FRIENDS OF MALHEUR NWR ACCOMPLISH THESE GOALS!